Spring has sprung! Everyone loves Springtime! With everything green, fresh and in bloom, we all start to feel a new sense of “aliveness” and look forward to outdoor activities and celebrations that come with the season of “renewal”!
Your Vital Life Team is eager to share with you some of the ways in which we can support you with getting a “Spring into your Step” that will bring along with it fresh new ideas and possibilities for the ways in which you celebrate life.
It’s time to do some Spring Cleaning! Most of us think of this concept in terms of cleaning out our house and closets, garages, etc.. We think of it in a much more global sense. We think it is a great time to “let go”- “lighten up” and “refresh” in every area of your lives.
Here are a few simple examples:
Do a “Rapid Change” Transformational Experience and get a jump start on loosing that weight you have been trying to loose for years.
Change your diet- replace all processed foods, junk foods and foods loaded with carbs and sugar with fresh green leafy salads and fruits and vegetables. Fire up the grill and cook a beautiful piece of fish or savory beef or chicken to go along with your fresh veggies!
- Build into your daily routine simple and doable ways in which to add movement – example- stand up every 15 minutes and stretch- take a walk around the building or the block every hour- take a 20 minute walk after you eat lunch- etc.
- Use your cell phone alarm to remind you to drink a nice 8 oz glass of water every hour. Staying hydrated is a cornerstone of health and well being.
- Breathe! Take about 5 deep breaths- repeat often. Your lungs will love you for it!
- Take the family or your pets for a 15 minute walk through the neighborhood after dinner- you will start to get to know your neighbors on a whole other level.
- Schedule an appointment with a trainer- if you are having difficulty getting started and staying with a work out routine.
- Identify and sign up for that yoga, pilates or strength building class.
- Think in terms of “replacements” – if you normally grab a high sugar snack- replace it with a high protein low sugar snack- nuts- protein drinks- healthy snack bars- etc.
- Invite your friends and family to enjoy home cooked meals several evenings a week. Potlucks are fun too- just make sure you state- “healthy dishes”!
- Schedule a makeover- maybe it’s time for a new hair style- a new wardrobe- or a new smile!
- Get your hormones checked- Dr. John Gray author of Mars and Venus along with Dr. Sara Gottfried are both amazing mentors when it comes to the area of “hormonal health” for both men and women between the ages of 35-70. You may not realize it- your hormones are the control center for your mood- your mind- your energy – weight- your sleep- your diet- and most importantly- your relationships.
Let go- some times you have to literally “jump ship” from friends, family members, co workers, jobs, and paradigms that no longer support you in being happy- healthy-grateful- optimistic and celebratory.
Meditate- in whatever manner you can- lie and listen to soothing music- stare at the stars- seeking solitude and stillness is an immense gift that you give yourself on a daily basis.
Make sure you FEED YOUR MIND! The brain needs lots of omegas and cholesterol and good fats- yes- cholesterol – your brain is made of largely of cholesterol. Consider taking a good omega- zinc- and eating eggs, nuts and avocados!
Stimulate- your mind needs to be activated and “turned on” – make sure you seek out new experiences, adventures, activities and conversations. This helps keep you in the seeking mode.
Rest- So many of us have come to accept a lack of sleep as a way of life- or a badge of honor when it comes to our workload. We invite you to reconsider the importance of a good night’s rest! Your mind and body need rest! Don’t buy into the “myth” that once you reach a “certain age” that you can’t have and shouldn’t expect a good night’s rest. Seek answers- there are reasons why you cannot a. fall asleep or b. wake up frequently through the night. Don’t be opposed to taking a nap. Longevity studies show that culture that live long and well- take naps!
Surprise yourself and your loved ones! Plan a trip – a picnic- something out of the ordinary. Pile your family into a car for a road trip and leave some space for the unexpected.
Turn off your cell phones! Have a few hours a day or evening in which you declare the home “cell phone free zone” – gather around the table and play a board game- work a puzzle or have a dance party!
Commit to date night! Date night doesn’t just apply to your spouse- it can benefit your children and your parents and siblings. Play with this one!
Love notes- they still work! Even if you aren’t feeling like a poet- take a sticky note and write something loving and positive to your spouse or your children- stick it on their bathroom mirror- inside their lunchbox- their car- etc. again- play with this! You will have fun and your relationships will begin to make you smile and giggle!
Even our finances need a spring cleaning and refreshing! Once you get done with your taxes- make sure you follow through with all of those resolutions you made while you were getting your taxes done or preparing them. Set up systems that work for you or identify a financial planner or book keeper to help you manage your money and your finances.
Invest in yourself! No one is going to tell you this once you finish college! The fact is – investing in yourself – skills, education, health, money management, etc. these are all things that we believe should be at the top of your list – your whole life long!
Invest in Fun and Family trips! How long have you been putting off the dream vacation with the spouse or the family? How long have you been saying to yourself- maybe next year? Plan it- book it and make it happen! The truth is, life will always present distractions and unplanned expenses and events.
Coming into alignment with the spiritual side of ourselves is imperative to living a life of purpose and fulfillment. Studies show that those who have some belief in a higher power have a greater sense of peace and purpose.
You may enjoy curling up with a good spiritual inspirational reading book in the morning or at night. Or you may enjoy grabbing your journal and writing your prayers and heart felt sentiments about your life- your loved ones and the world at large. Celebrate the “here and Now”! Being present is such a powerful way to come fully into your Mind-Body-Spiritual awareness.
Say Thank you often- Gratitude is truly the heart of prayer! A spirit of gratitude for all that you have will open the pathway of the soul to connecting with “Source- God- All that is” within you.
Hoping you can utilize a few of our “Vital Spring Cleaning” tips! We think it is important to clean out the old and make room for the new in every area of your life. Try looking at everything in your environment with new and fresh eyes. Ask yourself, “does this bring me joy”? If it doesn’t- ask yourself a very simple and yet profound question- “HOW WOULD I LIKE IT TO BE?”
Reach for the better THOUGHT- FEELING -ACTION! Don’t settle for the life you think you SHOULD have- go for the life you REALLY WANT TO HAVE! We believe in you and would love to share with you some of the powerful secrets we have discovered about aging. It’s time to “Spring clean- old beliefs and myths about aging”
Here is today’s Vital Reset ReMINDer:
“Spring cleaning isn’t just about sorting through things, and getting rid of clutter. It’s about taking stock of who you are, and how others see you. It’s a chance to redefine yourself, to change expectations, and to remember that it’s never too late to recapture who you were, or to aim for who you want to be.”
Best wishes for an exceptional day and to your long and vital life.